HELPING A NEWLY-PROMOTED MANGER TO BECOME
A CONFIDENT, EFFECTIVE LEADER
By Alex Hung
- Sector: Biotechnology
- Company: Fortune 500 Biotech Company
- Coachee: Newly Promoted Team Leader/Manager
Julian of Biotech Co* was recently promoted to manage a large service team. However, new to this position, Julian was doubtful of his capabilities to effectively lead his new team and was struggling to build effective and trusting relationships with his new line managers and direct reports.
When Biotech Co approached GloCoach for help, we formed a 360 Team and performed a pre-coaching assessment to get a baseline perspective of Julian's situation. This included a Pre-Coaching Discovery interview with Julian, feedback from each of his 360 Team Members, and a personality assessment. Our goal was to understand his challenges from a holistic view, taking into consideration feedback not only of Julian, but of his line manager, peers and HR manager. Here’s what we uncovered:
- Leadership Skills – With the new role Julian was facing a significant and unfamiliar challenge; how to effectively lead and managing the entire service team. To complicate matters, he was also reporting to a new line manager, and 100% of his subordinates had been replaced. With a completely new network and role, Julian was struggling to articulate a clear direction for his team.
- Confidence – As he struggled to gain traction in the new role, Julian’s confidence was being eroded. He was finding it hard to make difficult decisions and he did not want to face conflicts. He was beginning to question whether he had what it takes to be a strong leader. These doubts led him to question the importance of his department compared to others in the company.
- Tunnel Vision – Julian’s kneejerk reaction was to focus on a narrow set of KPIs for his team, since this gave him a greater sense of control. However, this inhibited his ability to focus on the overall performance of his whole team, which further blocked his full ability to succeed in the role.
- Program: Leadership/Management Coaching
- No. of Session: 12 Sessions ( 18 Hours )
- Type: 1-on-1 Online
With the data collected from Julian’s pre-coaching assessment, the GloCoach MatchStar algorithm identified Tony and two others as the best fits for Julian. A “chemistry call” was arranged with the coaches, after which Tony was officially selected by Julian and his line manager to begin Julian’s GloCoach journey.
In the first session, after brief introductions between both parties, Tony dug deeper to understand more about Julian’s current challenges. They examined the situation from all angles, taking into account the feedback from Julian’s 360 Team. At the end of the session, they reach consensus to focus on 3 S.M.A.R.T.2 goals to surmount the challenges he was facing:
- Goal 1: Explore and find his own unique leadership style that leverages the strengths identified in his personality assessment, and develop his own ability to more effectively coach his subordinates.
- Goal 2: Identify his own “personal brand”, which includes the three characteristics that he desires to be known for and identified by among his team. By clarifying his own brand, he expected his self-confidence to increase from 2 to 7 on a 10-point scale.
- Goal 3: Acquire "helicopter view" – the ability to think more strategically about the value and long term goals for himself and his team, including the identification of clear KPIs for each team member that will enable him to achieve this vision. The goal is to articulate a clear vision for the success of his team
To increase coaching retention and effectiveness, assignments were given to Julian by Tony after each session. These were just as important as the actual coaching sessions as they were used to keep Julian conscious of his challenges and stimulate him to think critically and reflect on actions/methods applied.
After just 12 sessions, Julian grew from a puzzled manager to a confident, strategic leader able to manage his team effectively. During the course of the program, Julian openly embraced the new leadership style he discovered with Tony. Instead of using an aggressive approach, Julian approached his team with more compassion and better communication. There were times when he met resistance and felt this method did not work for everyone. However, by taking a long-term approach and putting himself in his team’s shoes, he was able to coach and motivate his team to achieve his vision, ultimately increasing his department’s overall performance.
Goal 1: Develop Unique Leadership Style
Julian was able to clearly articulate his own personal brand, and began projecting it through the organization. This had an almost immediate impact on his confidence, which also enabled him to build trusting relationships with his team. He began to use newly-learned coaching techniques with his team, which enabled him to achieve both his goals and improve team performance. With his team behind him, his department became one of the most valuable in the entire company. This had a reinforcing impact on his confidence.
Goal 2: Increase Confidence
Tony mentioned throughout the program that Julian gradually broadened his views of leadership. He evolved from being a purely KPI-driven manager to thinking first about the long term goals and objectives of his team as a whole and how to add short-term goals step by step. As he practiced it more and more, he was able to project his vision with far greater clarity. Ultimately, he was able to define, project and achieve the strategic “helicopter view” of his department.
Goal 3: Develop Helicopter View
WHY WE WERE SUCCESSFUL
At GloCoach, our mission is to help people and teams to succeed. When Julian first started out at his new position, he was lost and on the verge of failure. With the right GloCoach, he was eventually able to discover his very own leadership style, build relationships with his new team, increase his performance and eventually became a confident team leader.
GloCoach is the first digital platform to drive personal transformation at scale, enabling companies to achieve their goals through superior performance. Our SaaS solution drives change in individuals and organizations via 1-on-1 coaching that is empowered and informed through data. With our turnkey platform, companies can easily roll out cost-effective, 1-on-1 coaching programs across their entire organization. Our analytic tools provide several layers of measurable results to ensure clear tracking of progress and ROI.
We recruit, train and manage 100s of international and diverse coaches, driving down retail cost by bringing “idle” coaching resources online. We make the “right” coach available to each member and enable live meetings anytime and anywhere via our mobile-friendly virtual session room and calendar. Seeing is believing.
Visit GloCoach to learn more: https://www.glocoach.com.
*The name of the company and the coachee have been changed to protect their privacy.